San Antonio Lawyers
Car accidents are one of the most common causes of injury and death in the United States. If you have suffered serious injuries, appropriate compensation for full recovery is necessary. The unfair business practices of many insurance companies make this process difficult and complex. Having a team of experienced attorneys on your side will give you the advantage you need to recover your compensation. A San Antonio car accident lawyer at the Herrera Law Firm can help with your claim and assist you after your Texas car wreck. Free case review.
What to Do After a Car Accident in San Antonio
In 2019, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 42,786 auto accidents in San Antonio and 47,443 in all of Bexar County. Obviously that’s a significant number of car accidents, dropping San Antonio to 138th on Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report 2019. The average San Antonio resident goes only 8.2 years between accident claims compared to a national average of 10.6 years. Thus, given 37% of San Antonio auto collisions resulted in injuries in 2019, it is important to understand the steps you should take after a San Antonio car accident:
- Stay at the Scene of the Accident: Do not drive away from any accident, even if it’s a minor collision, or you could be cited for a hit-and-run accident (Texas Transportation Code § 550.022. Accident Involving Damage to Vehicle).
- Maximize Safety at the Scene: Put on your hazard lights, set up flares, and move to a safe location if your injuries allow you to do so.
- Call the Police: A police officer can help redirect traffic, take witness statements, assess blame for the cars colliding, prepare accident reports, and call for medical attention. Further, the police can help you understand how to get a San Antonio car accident report.
- Provide an Honest Statement: Be accurate describing how the wreck occurred without speculating. Accident injuries are often not felt immediately, due to adrenaline and delayed soft tissue swelling. Therefore, if asked about your injuries, it is preferable to say “I do not know”. If you say “No”, insurance companies will use your statement against you.
- Exchange Information: If a police officer is present, they will usually obtain this information. However, if a police officer does not or will not come to the scene (e.g., police typically will not come to accidents in a parking lot or on private property without severe injuries), be sure you exchange names, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
- Take Pictures: Take pictures of all vehicles involved in the accident, including their location(s) on the accident scene, property damage incurring, and identifying information, such as a license plate or vehicle identification number (VIN). Further, take photos or video of weather conditions, skid marks, and the location of debris from the accident in the roadway. Also, take pictures of the driver license and insurance card of the other party or parties involved. If the other party does not have a driver license, take a picture of them as proof they were driving the vehicle.
- Scan for Evidence: If your injuries allow for it, search the area around the accident for any witnesses or cameras which may have caught the accident on video.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: A medical professional can check you out and possibly diagnose any injuries you may have sustained. Many injury accident victims ignore pain or stiffness when they have soft tissue injuries requiring medical attention, such as concussions or whiplash. But, even short delays in treatment open the window for the insurance companies to argue you were injured by something other than the accident and deny your bodily injury claim.
- Create a File: It is important to maintain an organized folder with information related to your car accident in San Antonio, TX. The time it takes to settle an injury claim can vary widely, and thus it is important you know the location of your documents.
- Consult with an Injury Attorney: Studies show that personal injury cases handled by an attorney typically result in about 3 times more compensation to victims relative to victims without legal representation. Consequently, Thompson Law’s San Antonio car accident lawyers have recovered over $1.8 billion net for our clients. Further, we offer FREE CASE REVIEWS to assess your need for an attorney.
San Antonio Car Accident Lawyer
If you are injured in a car wreck, you should speak to a San Antonio car accident lawyer today to ensure your rights are protected. Thompson Law Injury Lawyers are San Antonio car accident lawyers who can fight the insurance companies for you. Do not let an insurance adjuster take advantage of you when you are injured! San Antonio car accident lawyers offer FREE CONSULTATIONS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week no matter where you live in Bexar County. Call today, there is NO FEE unless you win.
Have you been injured due to another driver’s negligence? Are you worried about lost wages, medical bills, and the overall impact on your life? Are you worried that you don’t have enough money to hire a lawyer? Lawyer respected team of car accident attorneys is ready to fight on your behalf. Law firm does not charge anything to get started on your claim, and you don’t pay us any fees unless we collect money for you.